Day 2 of "Back to School" blogs and here is a recipe perfect for any lunchbox. These are egg free, dairy free and nut free. Change the flour used and then they are also gluten free. These are super easy and quick to make. My kids gave them the tick of approval. These could even make a great alternative for a breakfast on the go. I love getting the hidden veggies into my boys without them knowing.
What you need!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar ( raw, rapadura, coconut)
- 3/4 cup rice milk
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour ( swap for rice flour if guten is an issue)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- Handful chopped dates
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices
What to do!
- Mix oil, sugar, rice milk and apple sauce in a large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Place in muffin cases.
- Bake at 180c for about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
NOTE: I am sure nuts would be great in this recipe when they do not have to go off to school. Mix the recipe up a little and change the dates for organic dried apricots. You can also reduce the sugar content too as the dates are sweet as is the apple sauce. Make it your own to suit your family needs. Enjoy!
Motherhood Quote for the day - "The real menace in dealing with a five-year-old is that in no time at all you begin to sound like a five-year-old"
- Jean Kerr